Friday, May 4, 2012

Time for baby Manning #1

Todd and I are pregnant! Well we have been for 4 months. I decided I need to be better about blogging while I am pregnant because I really want to remember all of the wonderful things I have felt and experienced during pregnancy.

The weekend that I found out, I had a big sign that I was definitely pregnant because Todd and I got in a little argument before we went to Cafe Rio for dinner and out of no where I just lost it and started BALLING my eyes out, so much that I couldn't control it. I was literally crying harder than I had in a loooooong time. I felt so stupid that I ran into the bathroom and of course Todd felt horrible so we were both over what we were spatting about in about 2 seconds and he was there to help me out...but I realized there was something seriously wrong with my emotions. I had never felt so vulnerable and out of control of my own body - It was really weird. I actually told Todd I thought I might be pregnant but then dismissed it because I wasn't ready to get another "not pregnant" from that stupid little stick. So we went to dinner at Cafe Rio and ANOTHER sign that I was pregnant. Todd and I always share the salad there because it is ridiculously massive and we could never finish an entire meal there...so when I sat down to eat my half, I scarfed it down so fast and cleaned my plate completely, which I usually don't do either, I usually give the last few bites to Todd. I was so hungry and it tasted like heaven. I thought again, "Hmm, that was weird...maybe I'm pregnant?" But again, just dismissed it for a while until I could take a test.

I found out I was pregnant on February 5th, 2012. Todd and I started trying in December of 2011, we didn't get pregnant the first month so instead of being normal and saying "That is okay, next month..." I decided to be a crazy lady and make myself think it would never happen. I was so stressed out and worried that there might be something wrong with me that I am actually surprised I conceived a baby during that time. haha I waited longer than necessary to take a test because I was so sure it would just say negative and I would just throw it across the room but my sister took a test and hers was positive so she was dying to know what mine would say. I told Todd on Sunday night after we got home from my Mom and Dad's house that I would wait until that next Friday to take the test because I wanted to be SURE that I had missed my period. (Which by the way, I had been counting them wrong my whole life. haha Whoops.) But when I got home that night and Todd was using the computer. I just decided if I was pregnant, it would tell me and I just needed to know so bad. I took a test and I was totally shocked and surprised when I looked at it and it said "Pregnant." My heart was racing and I was on the verge of tears but I decided to keep my cool and do something cute to tell Todd. At the time I was doing a "14 days of Valentine's" for Todd and I had some sparkling cider, a cute little kid book called "You're my little luv bug" and a brand spanking new dslr camera to film it all with. (Although the video got deleted somehow...so sad!) I got the camera going and told Todd to come sit on the couch. I had him read the cute book, which is really a darling little book that I bought for him and not for the baby. haha Funny how it worked out though. So he read the book on video and I handed him the bubbly and told him "We are celebrating!" He was really confused so I handed him the pee stick and it took him a minute to register what the thing even was but once he realized what is was he said, "Are we pregnant?!" and I squealed "YES!" We hugged and kissed and I turned off the camera and then I asked him if he was okay because he seemed a little shy and maybe a little nervous and he said "This is good...we need to have a baby." and I said "Are you reassuring yourself?" haha Needless to say we were both realizing the magnitude of what was happening. I was a little nervous but mostly just thrilled and so excited to be a mommy.

The next day I called to make an appointment with my doctor for February 16th, 2012 at 8:15am (I wrote it all down, it was my first OB appointment and I didn't want to forget anything about it). I saw him when I was six weeks along and he said I seemed to be doing really well. He was impressed with me for being on prenatal vitamins for so long. I guess women don't typically do that? I got on my prenatal vitamins about 6 months before we started trying. I was not about to take any chances with my babies health! So everything was going great. The next week however when I was at a mutual activity for church I started spotting and cramping. I called my sister and her husband, Bryan, talked to me and told me I might be having a miscarriage or I could be just fine. We talked about an ectopic pregnancy and I had no idea what that was so when I looked it up and basically saw that it is a very bad thing, I freaked a little. Todd and I talked about going to the urgent care that night but I just decided to wait until morning and go then. I figured if my body was already trying to get rid of the failed pregnancy then there was nothing I could do anyway. So after a loooong morning in the urgent care with a bunch of tests and an ultrasound I got the good news that I was still pregnant and the baby had a healthy heartbeat. They said my body might have been giving off the symptoms of a period even though there was no way I could've actually had a period. I was so happy to hear that my baby was fine AND had a healthy heartbeat! I got a copy of my ultrasound and loved looking at it and seeing how tiny my little peanut was then.

Around that time, I started to get the nausea everyday, and it came on whenever it wanted to so I decided not to call it morning sickness because sometimes the morning was fine and the afternoon and evening were horrible. In week 8, I woke up one morning and felt like I was going to be sick so I asked Todd to get me some plain cereal to try and take the nausea away but that just ended up coming back up and I couldn't stop throwing up all morning long. It was the first time I had thrown up and I felt like it wasn't morning sickness at all. Thankfully I had an appointment later that day with my doctor and double thankfully my mom was able to pick me up and take me because I was not in any condition to be operating heavy machinery. We went to my doctor's appointment and the lady I saw told me that it was DEFINITELY morning sickness and I was just pregnant. But I was almost positive I had a stomach bug. She gave me a prescription for Zofran. It is basically a drug that takes away the nausea and boy it is a miracle drug. I took it for a couple of weeks until all of my family went through the same exact thing I did and we all deduced that it was a stomach bug. I got off of the Zofran and had to deal with the stinking nausea again but I decided that I didn't need the drugs and I would handle this tough part of the pregnancy without it.

One day I was having a really hard time and I wanted to just take a Zofran pill and feel great but I felt so dumb for even thinking about it and I realized that I hadn't gone to the Lord once to ask for help with the nausea. So I got down on my knees and prayed for help to get through the day and be able to keep a meal down for the babies sake. When I got up off my knees I immediately felt confident that I would be able to keep my food down so I ate it all and I felt so much better, the nausea went away for a time and I just cried because I was so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father that cared about my small and simple needs. I texted Todd and told him what had happened and he was really happy about it too.

Over the next few weeks I was really sick morning and night. I only threw up a few more times which is pretty dang good if you ask me. I was sick until the middle of April when I entered my second trimester and then one day it was all gone! It was a glorious day. haha
I guess the most recent things that have happened are baby bubbles and flutters last week. I cried when it happened. I knew it was the baby and then it happened again later in the week when we were road tripping to Utah. I could feel the baby squirming around inside me. Also, Todd thinks it's fun to massage my belly and put his face right up to it and say "Hiiiii babyyyyyy. I love yoooooou babyyyyy." haha So cute and it tickles. He wants the baby to know his voice when it enters the world. :) Seriously, most amazing husband ever.

Also, I had a really awesome dream last night that was actually really vivid. I had a dream that I gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby boy and that he was a good eater but mostly I remember waking up feeling so much love for this little dream baby. I just got out of bed and cried because I am so thankful for this baby inside me and I can't wait to hold him/her in my arms someday. I really don't think I have wanted anything more in my entire life. Even when I was a little girl, I couldn't wait to have a baby of my own someday. Of course I dreamt of having the perfect husband as well, which I obviously got. ;)

Anyway, longest post of my life! This is mostly for me to have but I don't mind if some friends want to read it as well. I am SO thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who always pays attention to my needs and helps me whenever I ask for it. And also for my amazing, incredible and hilarious husband. I have always been so thankful for him in my life but I should really say that I am lucky to have him in my life. I don't know why he thought I was the perfect girl but I am so glad that I married him. He really is so perfect in every way. He is the kindest man and treats me like a queen. Seriously, he does. haha I'm so in love and SO thankful for him in my life. We are very excited to be having this baby and I am so thankful that I am going through this with my sister, Christy. Which by the way, we have the same due date. 10-11-12! Cool due date, eh? I love it! :)
I have the best family and friends too. Such a great support system and so many girlfriends going through all of this with me! I love having tons of pregnant girlfriends! I feel very blessed and lucky to have had a very healthy pregnancy and that I didn't have a miscarriage with this first pregnancy. I know how common they are the first time so I count my blessings and will never take for granted that I have been able to carry this baby. In my patriarchal blessing I was told I would be "blessed with sons and daughters in my home." I can't even describe how much love I have for Heavenly Father and that he would trust me enough to send his precious angel babies to me.

Anyway, I am going to go swim some laps with my girlfriend Rach. That is pretty much the only cardio I get in anymore. haha I should probably work in some more cardio per week but anyway. Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Yay Katie! Thanks for posting about this. Such an exciting time. It is also amazing how even the little things can matter so much and how Heavenly Father cares about the littlest of things. I am so happy for you guys :) You are going to have a gorgeous baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear it was just a false alarm. I know exactly what that is like. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading you two! haha I like blogging, I just never think to do it. I will definitely be better though now that I have something other than Todd and I to blog about.

    ReplyDelete